Fares & Passes


Mainline RTS service (Scotia—Trinidad)

Southern Humboldt RTS service

Arcata & Mad River Service

Eureka Service

Willow Creek Service


Regional transit passes

$10 or $20 stored value magnetic media cards that allow you to ride the four regional transit systems for the new discounted rate.

Your magnetic pass can be used on any system at any time. Just swipe the card when you board the bus and it will deduct the correct discounted rate for that system. Let the driver know if you are entitled to a reduced fare before you board.

Day passes & month passes

Day & Month Passes are valid for unlimited rides until the date and time of expiration printed on the back of the pass. Each time you wish to use the pass after purchasing it, simply swipe it through the card reader. When you hear a beep the pass is recognized as valid and you may proceed to board the bus.


Free transfers are provided between RTS buses for a single trip. No inter-agency transfers are available.

Tell the driver you want a transfer when you board the bus. You can only get a transfer upon boarding.

To use a transfer when you board a bus on another route simply insert it into the card reader. When you hear a beep the transfer is recognized as valid and you may proceed to board the bus.

Purchasing passes

Purchase passes anytime and anywhere on your phone using the Token Transit app! Pay with your credit, debit, or commuter benefits card and always have your pass with you.

You can also purchase passes at the HTA online store with a credit card and have them mailed to you.

Bus drivers sell passes on the bus, but only cash is accepted. Important note: If you are not paying a cash fare do not put your money in the farebox until you tell the driver what you want to buy. You will not be refunded for money placed in farebox accidently.

Passes can also be purchased at the Humboldt Transit Authority office at 133 V Street in Eureka using Visa, Mastercard, or a personal check.

Jack Pass

Humboldt State University students ride RTS free

Students: Just show and swipe your current student ID when you board. Staff & faculty: you can buy into the Jack Pass program for $60 per semester. Get more info from HSU Parking & Commuter Services.

Commuter Benefits

Learn how to take advantage of tax-free transit “fringe benefits” using Commuter Benefits.


If you have any questions call Humboldt Transit Authority at 707-443-0826.